Advertisement

High - Paying ENFP Jobs?

topic posted Tue, June 3, 2008 - 7:39 PM by  Katie
Share/Save/Bookmark
I, too just discovered this website and am SO relieved to discover there are others like me! What I really need is advice, and although I'd truly love to drop out of school and travel the world and help and learn from many different cultures and people, I must focus on first creating financial stability. The possibilities are endless - I know, but please, are there any promising and stable careers that I would enjoy for that first step during/after college? As much as I wish money did not matter, what high paying careers could I start out with before pursuing my millions of ideas and interests?
posted by:
Katie
Utah
Advertisement
  • Re: High - Paying ENFP Jobs?

Sat, June 7, 2008 - 1:45 AM
    i've always found that the money followed my passion... as an enfp, if i'm not passionate about my work, then i lose interest pretty quickly. however, when i do have that level of engagement, i produce at 300% of the efficiency of everyone else & the promotions & money have always followed.

i've read that enfps don't tend to separate work & life so much... which means that you have to be doing something that excites you. i've got a good friend at work who's very IxxJ, and he laughs at how much i care about work things... and i laugh at how easily he can switch off from work & just not care, yet still do a good job.

and don't hear me as saying you should only work for "idealistic" places like social work /schools /charities - those places definitely don't pay well..! find a proper office job (the variety of which is too great to describe), which involves working with lots of people (i've found large companies work for me a lot better, due to sheer quantity of people to interact with, and opportunities to change roles before things get too routine :)), and get passionate about whatever it is they ask you to do - whether that's filing, making coffees, filling in dull spreadsheets... i've seen it time & again - the young people who despise the grunt-work because they have "higher ambitions" are not great employees. accept that in a new job, you will get more than your fair share of the less fun stuff. do it good-naturedly, while also showing you're capable of more. that's the attitude other people like to be around, and that will get you the money.

at least, that's worked for this enfp :)

Tue, June 10, 2008 - 4:23 PM
      The best career advice is do what you are interested in. Bottom line, then you will work at it, and you will generate money.

Picking a job based on good salary, then that would be easy, become a doctor, lawyer, work in business sales, work for an oil company, become a pharmacist, surgeon, director of a hospital, a successful business owner, or an IT consultant, etc etc. You will make money in these jobs. But if you are not interested in doing these types of things, just given an example then you must not.

How do you know if your interested. Well that takes experience and self awareness.

What ever you do dont just pick a job that makes money, you will likely quit, or not like it if you follow the money approach. You have to find out what are your passions and intrests and turn it into a job.

Be creative, Be an entrepreneur.

I am going into massage therapy and opening my own business, which as a female I have no problem getting $$ and clients. But also selling my service and helping others feel good!
      Also, with my degree in psychology, I can work in HR, sales, marketing etc If I want to. Right now Im a part time personal assistant and marketing promoter.

I make over 45k a year 27 years old.
      and Im just starting...

I dont work for anyone but myself also!!!! whoo hoo.

Tue, December 9, 2008 - 1:00 PM
        What she said... You might spend some time going through "What color is your parachute". I did, and did not follow it of course but I still encourage young people to do it. Like my Dad says, do what you love! and the money will come.... I have had jobs where I was making 50-60 an hr, and hated it! Since those feelings come through when we work, as an ENFP its VERY important you feel good about what you do. Or at LEAST who your are doing it for!

This can change based on your religious, political ideals... obviously. For example, I am a gun toting independent conservative, so there is not chance in hell I would work in I.T. for some tree hugging outfit. LOL. You need to think about those kinds of things though... that is the point. Where you are at now, you are thinking all $$$, which is normal and fine, I did the same thing. You will come to a point as an ENFP where that will matter less and less... better to set your self up early so you will be getting both satisfaction and money once you make late 20's or 30's... Do what you are! Also, and I am sure you are already doing this as an ENFP, dont look at the list of jobs listed for ENFP's as a "list" per say, but more as a guideline. Look at the big picture of what those jobs encompass and where the focus is.

Good luck!

Mon, November 23, 2009 - 5:51 PM
        Thanks for your post. What about the alternate? You like the job, but it's hard to get into b.c you don't have the degree (not sure how you got a marketing job, without a marketing degree and 5 yrs experience) OR you like the job, but its 1% chance of getting it ie. broadcast journalism. As a massage therapist - how do you market yourself?

Sat, June 14, 2008 - 10:22 PM
      Thanks for your advice! I'm actually interning in an office this summer and will definitely keep in mind just being engaged in whatever they have me do. I think it's true about young people - I guess everybody has to work their way up to some degree. I'll just try to make everything I do have to do exciting!
    • Don
      Don
      offline 0

Re: High - Paying ENFP Jobs?

Tue, January 26, 2010 - 9:52 PM
      Hi Seoa,
      I've just discovered I'm an ENFP. What a kick. I'm elated at the accuracy of the description of the personality. I've been making $100,000 (plus) a year as a real estate appraiser for 25 years and disliking every minute of it. It's a low people oriented job. However, the freedom of having my own schedule has given me time to get involved in other part time endeavors that have been pretty cool: college radio announcer, intern at the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, public speaker, video maker, joke writer for a couple of comedians, producer of an audio tape program featuring top public speakers from around the country for a training company, and current bass player in a weekly rock band. I'm finally fed up with the non-people part of appraising, and at age 55, I'm going to get into something else. (I guess optimisim is an ENFP trait!) This time I'm going to do what I like: work in a people environment doing something that will help other people. I know a lot of sales people for whom $250,000 would be considered low pay. I know several public speakers who make in excess of $500,000 per year (a few who make over $1,000,000). I'm going to find a product that can be sold to audiences. There's where I detect a good amount of money can be made, and fun can be had. Also, you only have to master one presentation. I haven't found the product yet, so I can't be specific about recommendation of what to sell. However, if you (dear reader) feel like you would like to make money and have excitement every day, I suggest go the Tony Robbins route and sell to audiences. Or, simply get into something sales oriented in which you can give presentations. You will shine there. It's exciting and hair raising and not dull. The trick will be to find the fitting product or service to represent. I suggest Toastmasters and the National Speaker's Association as great learning areas. I've spent years attending meeting at both and they are a candy store for ENFP's. I've spent a lot of time thinking about and formulating this path. I bet if we are alike, it probably doesn't sound so bad to you. I agree with you, Seoa: do something that you like and is stimulating. Working simply for money will end up depressing you. Life is too short. We have to live it up! Good luck to you if you're reading this! From your similar personality type, Don.

Mon, June 23, 2008 - 11:35 AM
    Great Question! Sales is where people make the most money. I have worked in the medical device industry for several years and aside from CEO's and company executives, it is the sales folks that rake it in. But, you have to love it!

I am a veterinarian by education and I have worked in several different roles in the last 15 years. After about 1.5 years of doing one thing, I am usually ready to get on to the next. I have been fortunate to have built a great career in both the veterinary and medical device worlds which has created a tremendous network of possibilities which I need to have in order to continue to build my career.

I am not saying to do what I did, but it is an example of how our lack of desire to stay in one place for very long can be an asset to us in career building.

Promising and stable careers are out there - ie plumbing, Funeral Directing, accounting etc. Just remember that the last thing that ENFP's (really) want is stable. Sometimes, we don't even want the money! That is, until we don't have it.

Stability is a tough thing for us. In my own case, it has been a choice I had to make and deliberately follow through on. Other types arrange their lives based on the need to feel stable. We ENFP's aren't wired that way. We are wired for the thrill! So if stability is what you want, then you will have to choose it and follow through on it. This has been a tough thing for me in those times when I want to go off and work in New Zealand for a couple of years or start a cattle ranch in North Dakota.

The best advice I can give from my own experience is foremost, DO NOT BORROW MONEY, and then find something that makes your eyes open wider and your heart start beating faster. Pay attention when it happens, because we are also good at talking ourselves into things!

Take Care,

TZ

Mon, June 23, 2008 - 4:29 PM
      I have to agree with a few posters...

first TZ who said DONT BORROW MONEY...yes, that is correct. Having worked in the banking industry in various capacities for nearly 20 years I can agree with this statement whole heartedly. I am also an ENFP and can tell you that our entheusiasm for new endeavors, coupled with our frequent fizzle and lack of follow through can make life a financial rollercoaster ride. If you pay cash...stay out of debt and don't encumber yourself financially too deeply, you will be able to enjoy the ride without losing your stomach.

Second, I totally agree with the poster who talked about hard work paying off. I doubled my salary in 2 years at a job that began as a floating staff position at a Credit Union. In this capacity, I was filling in a month at a time in areas ranging from data entry, tellerline, to Security Risk department. The more menial the task...the harder I worked. I dressed for the job I wanted (VP) instead of the one I had and 2 years later and 3 promotions later I went from $24K I started earning to a $50K management position with nothing more than a 2 year degree.

The common thread that most posters identify as a pattern with ENFP's is we get bored or disenchanted quickly (1-2 years) with a job and NEED to move. My preferred method is moving via promotion. That way you are able to stay with the same company and at least appear to have stability on a resume.

Sales is another possibility for the ENFP but as I have experienced first hand...a true and genuine core belief in what you are selling is necessary to have any satisfaction.

Tue, December 9, 2008 - 1:13 PM
      Hey, I like that cattle Ranch idea... You know what would be cool? If all of us ENFP's could enter into a partnership (we could hire my new girlfriend "Field Marshal" type, to keep us on track and do the detailed stuff. We would publish a yearly book, Ideas for dummies 2009. All of us would contribute. We would have to go through and make sure there arent duplicates. I am thinking it would sell for say, $39.95

Well?

Tue, June 24, 2008 - 5:15 AM
    Good Morning,

I forgot to add one thing. If money is important, make sure and do your research to find out what different careers typically pay. If you want to make $200k/year, then it is important to target the market segment where that is a possibility.
    If money is not that important, then you have alot more flexibility and jobs to choose from.

Funny theme among the ENFP career posts: Seems like we all want to make the big bucks, but aren't much happier when we do. I suppose it is like any other job for most of us - the joy is really in the hunt and the possibilities of the next job! It can be a fun and frustrating mindspace!

Thanks,

TZ

Wed, June 25, 2008 - 11:32 PM
    Wow, lots of good advice! I'll be returning here soon...

Since you are still in college, my #1 piece of advice is to:

a) be honest with yourself about what you love most, and then
    b) get an internship or other marketable experience with it.

As a previous replier said, we ENFPs have big dreams--sometimes involving big cash--but only what we really love seems to "stick" in the long run.

In college, I too wanted to leave it all and travel around the world. I stayed and got my degree--which is good--but did not maximize my time there or embark on a concrete career path, and am now dealing with the consequences. So take it from an ENFP who wishes she had done things differently: don't get hung up on deciding what to do. Just pick that one thing you know you'll never get tired of--and you probably know deep down what it is--and pursue it like there's no tomorrow. If you are a true ENFP, you won't be able to do something just for the money anyway, because you will get bored and leave it. So it is best to focus on something you can honestly commit to (and let the money flow naturally).

Before you leave college, gain marketable experience in your future career. It is one of the best things you can possibly do for yourself, and it will give you freedom to change lanes later if you so desire (an ENFP favorite activity :). I did not do the above, and now I am so busy trying to make money--to create my freedom--that I don't have much time for anything else. If I had just committed to something, anything, life would be easier now. The ENFP fatal flaw is non-commitment, but our greatest strength is excitement and passion--so follow yours!

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Wed, November 26, 2008 - 12:26 AM
    Again, do what you love. Get good at it and after 2 years of working for someone else and learning, start a business with that.

Don't get sucked in to doing a career for prestige or money, because as an ENFP your enthusiasm will wane quickly. Sometimes, short term jobs are ok - I've lasted 3-4 months doing something I didn't like as a summer job - but as a long term career you can't make yourself like something for the money.

I went to law school for prestige, emotional/social affirmation (hey parents and people I haven't seen in years, I AM smart!), and the money. Once out in the world, I've found that law practice is not easy for an ENFP. It is repetitive, technical, logic/"Thinking" focused, very precise and detail-oriented, and largely based on conflict, harassment, bullying and [witness] lying. Then, there are downsides. Now I owe a TON of money for school and from starting my practice and I'm pinned in, which is also a stress for an ENFP. With the downturn, clients have ditched paying their bills. It's funny someone mentioned New Zealand above - I lived there for a while in the late 90's and dream every day about going back for a couple of years, if only to press the Reset button on my life again. Of course I don't like to repeat experiences as an ENFP so sometimes I consider Australia. Switzerland would rock but visas are tough to get from what I hear.

Frankly, I see "attorney" on all these ENFP job lists and I wonder what kind of attorney they are thinking would be good as an ENFP, because I don't see it - the only position that even kind of fits our strengths is the sales/"rainmaker" type partner position who brings in business and doesn't sit and draft things, but guess what - that's after a lot of freaking slog and years of doing painful things.

Sat, January 31, 2009 - 8:56 PM
      LOL I am a Geographer... can't say the pay is high, but I get paid to travel and feed my bizarre need to travel around the world and learn languages so I can communicate with more people.

Mon, May 4, 2009 - 3:21 AM
      Hi Ryan,

I really like what you're saying below, especially the part about not choosing a career for presitge or money. I have chosen jobs over the years for one or the other, sometimes both. I've been an accountant most of my career. I did that for stability and money. I was ready to throw in the towel after three years in a big NYC public firm when a friend said "try Accounting in an area you love". So I went to work in the music industry as an internal auditor thinking what a cool place to work - jeans, free concert tickets, name dropping that I work for a company having some of the biggest bands in the world. Well, I've just been denied a permanent job for about the 10th time in my career in music, and I'm fed up. It's almost been worst than working in a stuffy accounting firm pouring over spreadsheets because in a music company, I could see everyday what I was missing and was unable to get it - a job in a creative area like A&R, marketing, etc. I burned so many bridges being too enthuistic (translation to the ESTJ accountants around me - pushy) about being a good auditor, I was unable to even move myself into a new area in the business.

So the point of all of the above? Just to say that for us it's not just good that we go for a job we love, it's imperative. I'm out of work now, and it's the second time in two years. I'm also in debt. If one can't find happiness at work, then you find it through the swish of a credit card! But I'm not giving up. I've read all of the posts above and I've decided it's time to take the plunge. I'm not going to take another finance job. I'm going to go after what I really want, and rest on the belief that I will get it because it's where I'm meant to be. I'm lucky to have the support both financially and emotionally from some friends and family. All you can do is try.

Sincerely,

Sylvia

Sat, January 30, 2010 - 11:05 PM
      What is it about ENFPs and New Zealand? I've been totally infatuated with that country for several years!!

Fri, February 19, 2010 - 12:40 AM
        I just found this group and reading the ENFP conversation has been exhilarating!! I too talk about New Zealand all the time! And cattle ranching in North Dakota makes me bust out laughing, because so many days have I mentioned running off to start a ranch, or jump on a plane to Cancun! It's all about the adventure with ENFP's - it's good to know I'm not the only one!

I am also in search of that perfect career. A 30, I figured I'd better get busy! I used to work in the Financial world, and as Exec./Admin. Assistant...but after about 6 months, the money did not matter, I was miserable with the mundane. Client Services and answering the phone usually made my day worth while. I would dream of living a life at home, foot loose and fancy free. But now that I have been out of a job for over a year, yet again, the daily "routine" has become my misery. I'm volunteering myself for any and every project that comes along, but I know this is not truly what I need to be doing. I'm longing for that "fit" but the more I consider what the big "IT" career may be I realize, there is no perfect BOX for me, instead I need to just start working on all my smaller boxes and enjoy my life pursuit.

Well, if there is an ENFP tour group headed to New Zealand, count me in!!!

Thu, October 28, 2010 - 1:25 AM
        I'm an ENFP. I relate quite well to many of the themes of this post. I am actually from New Zealand. I am 21 and over halfway through a law degree for some reason... but I want to do an MBA so I can so something entreprenuerial, or consulting. Every week my mind keep changing as to what I will do next year, travel, stay at uni, change degree, change major? New Zealand is pretty rad, but I'm desperate to travel somewhere else for a while, because the country is pretty small and isolated. I am a strong writer, it's the only way I get through law. Does anyone know if an MBA would be a wise idea for this personality type? My ultimate job would be something involving travel, risk and not highly analytical (ie law).

Wed, October 12, 2011 - 1:18 AM
          One year later...but it's all good. I just finished my MBA this past June 2011. And while it doesn't, in many ways, seem to be beneficial to my field (Occupational Health and Safety Engineer), I have gained so much from it. First - network of people. You meet a lot of people from different fields and really learn to work with them on various projects. I have definitely used many of them to get me interviews at their various companies they are working for. Second - innovation. Depending on which school or program, you can really tap into your creative side. Working for a large and old Aerospace company as an engineer, I never had the opportunity to really present or test out my ideas. At MBA school, I was able to test out a lot of my ideas, gained a lot of insight on entrepreneurship, studied design management and innovation theory, had way more opportunities to perform/present, and was able to develop a business plan. I also got a taste of other fields within the business spectrum (e.g. finance, marketing, strategy) and realized where I might fit in. Of course, MBA school like anything else is what you make of it. Also, you'll need to find an MBA program that matches your personality, work style, and preferences.

I think ENFP excels in an MBA program. I enjoyed my experience and count it as value added! Good luck and hope you find a career that matches your passion!

• JE
        JE
        offline 0

Sun, January 30, 2011 - 2:58 PM
        Hilarious! I lived there for 2 years and had a wonderful experience. In general ENFPs just love to travel and NZ is synonymous with being "far away".
  • Consider nursing

Tue, December 2, 2008 - 4:38 PM
    I've been through half a dozen careers and now I'm going back to school to be a travel nurse. When I was younger I hated the idea of nursing because I thought- why be a nurse if you can be a doctor? Let's face it, I can never handle that much schooling all in a row. Then I got sick, went to the "best" specialist doctors in several states and none of them helped. Eventually a nurse practitioner figured out how to make me better. The doctors' focus was on curing an incurable condition. The nurses were much more interested in restoring my quality of life and listening to me and actually doing research when they didn't know the answer to something rather than pretending they were God. I gained a lot of respect for nurses.

Then I found out what a great career choice nursing is. In a few weeks you can be a CNA, which is basically professional ass wiping unless you can get on to a hospital. A hospital is great, you get exposed to new people and just enough chaos to keep you engaged but not so much that you're chronically stressed out either. Hospitals have great benefits and while the pay isn't extraordinary, it is better than most college campus jobs and most places are so short of nurses they will happily pay for your college.

One tip though- do NOT work as a CNA at a nursing home that offers CNA classes right at the facility. The ones that do that only do so because they have chronic staffing problems. If they could keep their people they wouldn't need to. Usually the problem is that they are so short staffed that none of their residents gets the proper amount of care. You'll think they need you there and you'll try but something awful will happen every day and you'll go home crying, you'll tell the heartbreaking stories to the people you love and they'll all be crying too and insist that you quit. Others just treat the staff so poorly that no one will put up with that kind of abuse and people leave. Don't make the mistake of working for a facility like that as it will be so emotional you'll hate it. Pay for the class and get on at a hospital, even if only part time at first.

One thing I've learned so far about nursing school- it is the least annoying schooling I've had, because it's all very practical. I don't get frustrated that I'm wasting my time and that it's all BS because I actually need to know this stuff to do my job well. Someone should have told me about this before!

If you go to a community college you can be an LPN in a year (or maybe two, if your college makes you take prerequisites first) with an LPN you can make $30K in rural areas and $50K+ in cities. So you keep working at your hospital and keep going to school and in another few terms you're an RN, which is an additional 10-20K as a beginner.

You can be a nurse in almost every area of healthcare. I'm leaning towards working in a NICU right now (premature babies). Lots of technology, respect from doctors, very few patients, you get close to the families and I don't mind death. Some aspects (med-surg) of hospital nursing seem extremely boring to me. But there is a million specialties, and if you get bored you can transfer. When you're starting, try and work at a magnate hospital. That means they treat the nurses really well. You need a place like that when you're just starting a difficult job.

Some hospitals have a "weekend option." That means you get 90% of the pay and 100% of the benefits for 60% of the hours. In return you have to work two 12 hour shifts sometime between friday, saturday, and sunday. If you decide you love nursing school and want to keep on for more it's a great way to make a living while in school.

With one year of experience as an RN, you can be a travel nurse. That means getting paid more than $100K plus a furnished apartment all over the country. They pay for your travel expenses, and you'll spend 3-4 months in each location. Some companies even rent you a car and pay for more college. In many places you work 3 or 4 12 hour shifts a week, which leaves you with 3 or 4 days off a week! At that point you can take classes online to finish your BSN. If you get bored with visiting Alaska, Hawaii, and living in cities you would otherwise struggle to afford (Manhattan, San Francisco, Boston, Miami), then you can afford to take a few months off and travel. Maybe be a nurse for one of those adventure travel companies who take medical professionals with them.

Some travel nursing companies are now taking nurses overseas. There is a shortage of nurses around the world and you can work in London, Dublin, and different places in Australia and New Zealand pretty easily as nursing is considered a needed profession so it is quite easy to get work visas. If you have the self-discipline to become fluent in other languages I've heard it's quite easy in France and Spain as well.

You can spend your vacations on medical missions trips or with similar charities like doctors without borders. When you get bored with all that you can settle down in wherever you decided was your favorite place because most travel nurses get offered jobs in most of the places they work. You can complete grad school online and then teach nursing wherever you want. There is a desperate need for nursing instructors. If you get really high-minded, go to an ivy-league grad school like Yale.

If you're sick of school and have kids, work at their elementary as the school nurse. Work at their summer camp. Work as a nurse in a private college health clinic and give your kids free tuition at something like 99 private colleges in the USA. If you've never settled that much and need still more adventure, the UN and the Peace Corps always need nurses too. Run a health clinic in a developing nation while living like a queen on all of the money you sacked away while travel nursing.

Or oficially retire and invest your savings on a new business scheme.
    • Re: Consider nursing

Tue, December 9, 2008 - 1:18 PM
      Hey, as long as there aren't any really important details that cant afford to be missed.... I am down with Nursing. I was being sarcastic.... I am 37 and still have not overcome my habit of scanning things very quickly and just taking action. I can do a lot of things very quickly, but a lot of little details, many are just stupid anyway.... lol, get lost in the frenzy. I am responding because I was seriously thinking about Nursing as a career change... in fact, I think What color is your parachute listed that when I took it back in 90'. Back then, it was a, I am not gonna be a nurse.... I am dude, thing. Now of course I know that is ludicrous, but I am concerned with the detail aspect when lives are on the line.

Any thoughts?

Mon, November 23, 2009 - 5:59 PM
      HELLO ALL, I GUESS THIS IS A USA POSTING SITE. HOW HAVE YOU ALL BEEN IN CANADA? JOB WISE, JOB OPPORTUNITY, VARIED PROMOTIONS/TITLES ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN

Sat, January 30, 2010 - 11:11 PM
      I crossed nursing off my list because after working in a hospital I realized that it didn't jive with my desire to learn more and innovate. Doctors/surgeons are king and even if you research new procedures/technologies you can't do anything about it because people's lives are at stake. At least in an office you can sometimes use your ideas in little ways and show your worth and be promoted.

Fri, February 6, 2009 - 5:57 AM
    I just discovered this personality typing and it's crazy. I am still a little blow away by it all. I am a college grad from a top 25 public institution and going through the same thing as a lot of you. Trying to figure out what I want to do in this life. To the OP, if you have the freedom checkout the Peace Core, Teach for America, or a similar program. With the Peace Core you are able to travel, live the crazy, different, meaningful adventurous lifestyle all ENFPs crave. I also found teaching English in Asia to be a fascinating job prospect. They pay for your travel, and living expenses as well as a salary of 30k US Dollars. It is a 1 year commitment and many people who do this for a couple of years end of with rewarding international business jobs. Personally I am currently looking into medicine. I am going back to school to take my medical/science pre reqs. I am not sure on what medical path I will take but I know that it will be extremely rewarding for all of the time and effort I will put into it.

ENFP dont really need money, naturally we value the experience much more so than the objects or things. If I was not in a stable relationship and didnt have a 100lb puppy I would probably be spending 4 months in Costa Rica surfing, a year in Asia teaching, a couple months back packing through Europe, sleeping at a hostel in Sydney. The whole time using my ENFP charm to meet people, acquire jobs and inspire those that cross my path.

Fri, February 27, 2009 - 3:02 PM
      I'm all over the place. It's so lovely to run into a bunch of people who seem to be just like me. It makes me feel like less of a failure and more of an interesting cool type of person who is good at a bunch of things. :)

I went to school and got my degree in Creative Writing with a minor in Journalism.
      I then proceeded to get my license in massage therapy. After I realized (a couple of months into working) how tough it can be to work long hours with such hard labor, I started to get disenchanted by it and stuck to the initial plan that maybe I'd be best off doing massage therapy as a very part-time, outcall type of thing to supplement a stable job.
      Now I kind of want to be a kindergarten/first grade teacher OR a speech language pathologist.
      Oh yeah, and I want to be an artist/painter on the side.

On one hand I convince myself that I can do all of these things simultaneously and be just fine. On the other, I feel like a failure for investing $10,000 in a 9-month massage therapy program without devoting myself entirely to it for at least 6 months. Since I am very flighty, though, I'm afraid that my lack of commitment to building up the job at all means that I'll probably do the same to the other things I end up doing for a living.

I'm 23, essentially jobless, temporarily living off of my very stable boyfriend's income, and am left terrified that I may just keep going to school forever to avoid "settling". I need to make some money though, because one day in the next 5 years I'd like to have a family and be able to afford 1/2 of the rent in a 2+ bedroom San Francisco Bay Area house.

I completely empathize with wanting lots and lots of money. (And maybe a little bit of fame to go with it.) Someone recently told me that I'll care much less about having "lots" of money if I can just make "some" money. Once I have enough to do many things, I won't necessarily feel like I need to have millions.

It's hard to feel that way when I'm barely scraping by, though.

Sun, April 12, 2009 - 1:01 PM
      Hi Phillip,

I'm an ENFP, and a 4th year medical student in Chicago. I'll be starting my residency in internal medicine in July 2009. I think that medicine is broad enough that any personality type can find a niche. I think for ENFPs, a specialty with a broad range of career options would be best. For example: General surgery is good, because you can practice general surgery, or sub-specialize in vascular surgery, plastic surgery, cardiothoracic surgery, colorectal surgery, surgical critical care,... etc... all of which are fellowships that one can pursue after general surgery.

A subspecialty such as neurosurgery, may be a poorer fit for an ENFP, because if after 7 years you decide you do not like neurosurgery, you will have to start from scratch.

Regarding ENFPs and debt... I am in pretty heavy debt due to my medical school loans. Because of this debt, I know that I will have to practice medicine for at least 10 years after residency... I guess this could be bad for an ENFP, however I hope that internal medicine provides me enough variety to stay interested for 10+ yrs, if not longer.

Are there any other ENFP physicians out there? If so, can you tell me your specialty, whether you still enjoy it, and details about your career trajectory?

Also, I'll answer any questions I can, about medicine.

Thu, April 30, 2009 - 9:47 AM
        I, too, wanted to go to nursing school and have been 3 times. I struggled with the thought also, Why be a nurse when you can be a Dr.? So, I quit each time. I am 34 and have 3 children and at this point just could not see myself going through that much school. I definately did not want to start that and then quit.

I have done so many jobs it isn't funny. I always wanted to be a professional singer/songwriter. Music is everything to me...but I got married and had kids and there is definately no guarantee there. I have worked every min. wage job possible (waitress, cust. serv. rep., retail sales, juvenile hall clerk, group home clerk) I also have been a realtor, business owner (2 businesses), photographer and now I am a billing mgr for a gas/oil pipeline contractor where my husband works. It is GREAT money. I have gotten 3 promotions and 3 raises in the last year doubling my income. I still search! The money is great, my job is OK. I like the fact that it is laid back. We travel all over the US. We stay in a place 3-6 months at a time. We live in an RV with 3 children that are homeschooled. We have a home that we never see. The kids complain that they have no life. So, there are pros and cons to everything and money is not everything. I make $150,000 a yr and my husband is at $200,000 a yr. So, the money is great. We spend a lot also. It costs a lot of money to basically travel 365 days a year. I tell myself that I should be thankful for my job. And I am...except for teh fact that it serves no purpose to me. It is all about the dollar. I am helping no one, I am changing nothing, I am making no difference and I feel huge amounts of guilt because I feel my kids suffer from a "normal" life.

I am now planning on going back to college this fall to be a Nurse Practitioner. To me, that is in between a nurse and a Dr. and you can work in a hospital, private practice with others or on your own. You can specialize in many different areas and make $100,000 plus a yr. I would like to specialize in neonatology. That is a passion for me and think that the constant changing, close relationships and problem solving will work well. I also have visions of going to third world countries on mission trips to serve others.

Doctors of any kids are not on the preferred ENFP career list and I am wondering why. What is it that would make this profession a turn off to us? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I feel I am forever searching...too many ideas and not enough me.

Ideas I have thought of...
        Doctor
        Nurse
        Writer- Self Help
        Singer/songwriter
        Motivational Speaker
        Counselor- drug and relationship
        Life Coach
        Massage Therapist
        Entrepreneur- Invest in the Dominican, Invest in Real Estate
        Mail/Shipping Store Owner
        Photographer
        DJ
        the list goes on...

Nice to see I am not crazy...everyone else thinks I am :)

Sat, May 2, 2009 - 7:07 AM
          Hi Shelly,

In response to your question below...
          "Doctors of any kids are not on the preferred ENFP career list and I am wondering why. What is it that would make this profession a turn off to us? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I feel I am forever searching...too many ideas and not enough me."

When considering medical specialties, I also realized that I did not like pediatrics. I think the reason is because ENFPs like to know that what they are doing is important, serious, and will have in impact. Pediatrics is full of "worried" parents and bored housewives who bring in their kids for what is obviously nothing serious. On top of this, you have to do a lot of "faking" or "acting" with these pediatric patients in order to get them to comply with the physical exam, as well as to "please" the parents... things like (1)speaking in an animated voice to patients, (2)saying silly things like "is there an elephant in your ear, can I check?", in order to get kids to comply with the otoscopic exam, (3)pretending to be interested in the child's hobbies as the parent and child get "giddy" and "talkative" with the attention they perceive they are receving. I think the % of serious issues that the average pediatrician sees is less than 33%.

For ENFPs, I think neonatology is a good fit because what you are doing is important (e.g. work-up neonatal jaundice to rule out serious causes), and there is no "faking" at this age because the patients are too young. I also think that pediatric oncology or pediatric intensive care are good fits for ENFP, because you are dealing with serious issues and there is little room for having to "fake", in these circumstances.
          • In response to ENFP physician question

Sun, April 11, 2010 - 1:05 PM
            After considering a medical career for years I finally applied to podiatry school not because I didn't think I could get into med school but because I liked the variability of the profession and that you could do surgery. Well, now that I am accepted (but haven't started) I am pretty sure I cant do it because of the following reasons: the debt load (MDs, DOs, and even more so podiatrists b/c they make lessand schools are private) is crazy, because of the crazy debt load I will have to, have to practice podiatry for at least 15-20 years to come out ahead, that have to is killing me, if I want to have kids (I'll be 33 when I'm done with residency) and work half time I can't, and if I suddenly decide I want to move to Africa (its Africa for me not Australia or New Zealand) I can't. Bottom line, originally and this is probably complete naivete I thought being in medicine would be more flexible because you can practice anywhere (move to Africa and practice) and in reality its not. So that's why for me, I think an MD or DO would maybe be better but I don't even think I could handle the 4-10 years of additional schooling to get those degrees. Obviously, someone on here is doing it but I think you really have to know you will be happy with your decision or get your tuition and living expenses paid for. For those of you looking for careers, I work as a lab technician doing research, some days are better than others but in general I find it pretty varied, my boss gives me a lot of free space to do what I want (I work in academia though, and not industry which is less flexible but pays significantly more). I don't know if I will stay in this but depending how you work it you can make a decent living.

Fri, February 19, 2010 - 12:54 AM
          Your list sounds a lot like mine:

Marketing Consultant
          Singer/SongrWriter
          Social Media Consultant
          Voice Over Artist / Book Narrator
          Wedding Planner
          Financial Planner
          Graphic Designer
          Content / Web Developer
          Inventor
          Physical / Massage Therapist
          Global Activist (anything abroad)
          Charity Organizer (raise money for non-profits)

I often go to bed and wake up with a new "profession" on my mind and think, "Oh yea, I will do that!" I believe that all of the things that our hearts long to do some how CAN be cultivated into one thing, with many outlets. I'm in the same boat with you -- still working to cultivate what that one thing may be. Seems like Entrepreneur, our starting your own business is the best thing for our ENFP types. Most people think I'm crazy too! lol.

Tue, May 25, 2010 - 3:10 AM
            Hey Jenn - I so relate to your list. I'm a 37yr ENFP who left IT role nearly a year and half ago and have since been dreaming about all sorts of options - secretly hoping for an epiphany. I saw something in a Barbara Sher book that suggests if you have a list you can slim it down by asking the following questions - oh and I've shared my personal answers.

Question to ask
            - which life can you devote yourself to this year (web developer small business, copywriter, life coach)
            - which life would be a good follow on from the first (financial planner, graphic designer)
            - which activities could you do for 20mins or less a day (blog writer, stock trader)
            - which ones can you do on a weekend (songwriter, drama actor, tour guide)
            - which can you do once in a while (charity financial counsellor, yoga teacher, photographer, public speaker, amnesty activist)

Ofcourse in true ENFP style I'm thinking about ignoring my above answers and going back to uni for like 4 yrs to become a counselling psychologist as I love positive psych movement. God help my goldfish mind...pah =)

Sat, May 2, 2009 - 6:33 AM
    Hi Katie,

I'm a network marketer for a NYSE listed company based in Utah, Nu Skin Enterprises. I use to tell my sister, I think I was born for this type of career! :) Take a closer look at this industry and the EQ needed to succeed.

It matches what ENFP's love to do, I think.

I love traveling, communicating, coaching, sharing good things and most of all creating residual global income. I used to be an Engineering Manager for Motorola, been there for >13years before I left it 2 years ago. Been enjoying the business for almost 8 years and excited by the potential growth in the future.

My blog:
    areyousearching.blogspot.com/200...html

With respect,
    WillingTan

Attract it!

Wed, November 18, 2009 - 5:18 PM
    well i'm so glad to be reading about other people like me. i can never make up my mind about where i want to be, what i want to do as a career and alot of other things. i'm a lawyer by training and i must say, i'm quite disliking it, even though i make 100k+. i'm looking for something that makes me happy and as the other posts have mentioned, the money will come.

has anyone tried real estate? i do like real estate and the idea of meeting new people all the time, plus i think i might be good at understanding what people want...hmmm...

Fri, February 19, 2010 - 1:11 AM
      I've never done real estate, but I have several friends who are in it - and my drawback to starting that profession is that while the field is "project oriented" the to do's and paperwork can become routine, and you have to really work to build an audience. Seems like the ENFP's like to have the audience presented to them.

I'm just a back seat driver here, but why would you ever want to throw away all that training? Could you do something with it that backs your desire to be around people? I don't know about the law field, but surely there is something out there for you to investigate as a "lateral move" instead of jumping ships?

just a thought. Wishing for you the best...

Sat, February 20, 2010 - 12:22 PM
    Hi

I can't believe how similar us ENFP's all seem to be! Amazing! I too seem to 'chase' money unfortunately - I work as a manager in the Marketing field and have been fairly successful to date, however am starting to feel the weight of my career choice...I am starting to get bored. From the outset, I thought my career in marketing was going to allow me to put my creative juices to good use to solve some business problems, but it seems that more often than not my work is quite process driven - which drives me mad. I enjoy the high level strategic side of my job - getting a brief and planning out how I am going to solve the problem or meet the objective....but then putting that solution in action is the bit where things get boring. On the flip side, I find myself thinking that I do like earning a decent wage, and if anything that I want more money...lol (I am 28 and earn $90,000 a year)....Katie - I am in your position...I am looking for a complete career change but am feeling a little overwhelmed at the options and`at the thought of 'making the right decision' (finding a job that will satisfy my need to be innovative and creative, but also earn me some good money)....If only I could earn a decent living from my music - I would be a happy girl. If I can give you any advice, take your time in making your decision - as us ENFPs become restless easily - so give yourself a head start by making a good decision up front - and the money will follow.

Just a general question to ENFP's on this forum - are you all creative beings too? Everyone I know who is ENFP seems to be very creative!

Nic

Mon, March 8, 2010 - 8:15 PM
      This is insane. I never join, actually rarely read these types of things, but you all describe spitting images of my career/lifestyle dilemma. I am 26, undergrad business (marketing and entrepreneurial venture) and MBA (marketing and supply chain). After undergrad I worked for an institutional consulting firm while doing my MBA at night. Since graduation, I have moved into a marketing sales role within the private equity industry. I got bored doing the finance analyst work fairly fast (routine mostly), and although maybe I can get into sales (new hire) I am always still looking for that perfect job that is going to make me so happy and a lot of $$. All I want to do is travel and often think about taking off to do peace core or just driving west or going to Europe or NZ for a few months or years(again with the NZ, wow enfp's). A big reason what keeps me here is being scared to "fall behind" professionally by taking time out for personal traveling. I also contemplate the medical field A LOT, but go through the same, "why be a nurse when you can be a doctor" and I totally planned to be done with school forever after MBA. I know I am young and still can go after medical, but again with the falling behind thing and is the rest wasted then? Anyway, I was just astonished reading through these posts bc I can not believe how similar our life/career struggles are. I took this personality test to show me career types I could possibly love. I can not wait to hear what you all fall in love doing, hoping maybe it will help me to find my true working happiness. Katy, the traveling nurse gig sounds AMAZING and I wish you the best. I am totally going to research that further. Good luck to you all!

Wed, March 10, 2010 - 10:22 PM
        You guys really need to read "I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was" By Barbara Sher - I just got it and it's really, really good! The "What Color Is My Parachute" guy said he put some of her stuff in his book.

She talks about resistance which is when we find something we really like and want to do, but for some reason there's a part of us that holds us back from making steps toward it. I highly recommend it from what I've read so far. Check it out at Barnes & Noble or something.

Tue, March 23, 2010 - 9:35 AM
    I think advertising is a great career choice for anyone having the ENFP personality. I have been in the Traffic department for about 8 years now, having worked in the publishing side, broadcast side and now the web side. It is diverse enough to keep my interest, never the same thing everyday, high stress keeps me on my toes and my job currently is somewhat entreprenure oriented. There is some routine with the web industry but for the most part it is fun. As far as the money, you have to start out low and move up... Although at times I do just want to take off and travel around the world just for the sake of it, but that is my ENFP nature. :)

Fri, May 7, 2010 - 11:46 AM
    I'm completely blown away by this entire ENFP thing! Right out of high school i could never quite pin down "what i wanted to do when i grow up" so to speak, so I put it off, put it off....I fell into a good paying job as an office manager, i've been here for almost 10 years. I suddenly woke up a 32 year old mother who is completely bored out of mind at work!!! I'm having a hard time even getting out of the car in the morning! So I started soul searching and next came a "career test" and here I am, an enfp just like the rest of you, I always chalked my indecisiveness up to being a gemini, but i guess not!! I can relate to almost every post on here! I too am considering a career change and an entire education on nursing, ultimately becoming a CRNA, I'm wondering if there are any enfp's out there working as a nurse anesthetist? I have also considered the IT field, being good with computers and all. But sometimes I think I'm too old to dive into all this schooling, but I too am searching for $$$$ and to do something I'm passionate about....I'm just passionate about so many different things!
    • Rod
      Rod
      offline 0

Thu, March 3, 2011 - 4:53 AM
      It's 3am in the morning. I never stay up this late. Is it because I recently decided to search what the hell ENFP's are? Well, I'm 30, have my son and my wife and I am an ENFP. I'm at a career cross-road in my life (I should actually say JOB cross-road in life, but until recently, I didn't even really grasp the understanding of what a career is...anyways I detract). I recently discovered my ENFP'ness at a local college, that along with a free Career Planning and an Effective Communication seminar. And I must say, I can relate to what everyone has been saying. I can't believe how much I've been missing - I'm referring to the fact that I can't believe I'm talking to people just like me. This and the stories I've been hearing from all of you - to be able to just read from your experiences, stories, triumphs, achievements, successes...makes me feel that I'm not alone. How awesome and mysterious that is.

I'm at a point in my life where I am looking for that job, (apparently finally because I'm fed up finally) and ready to step into the unknown head on. And I know that this is what my mind is telling me, that is for sure. And this has happened before, but it is more-so now. Has my ENFP awoken in me finally? Because without putting too much thought in my many jobs and dead end ones after high-school and certificate courses here and certificate courses there, and transferable skills to this job and etc...I'm like......where the damn hell am I?

And because of this "where the damn hell am I", I'm actually starting to apply my ENFP strengths, into, enthusiastically (but realistically) identifying, truly, what I am and what I want to do. Why? Because I am not truly happy where I am right now job wise and because I'm getting older and wish to lead a more meaningful life for me and my family. And I haven't been happy in this job section/part of my life for as long as I can remember...

Part of me typing away in the corner of my living room in the dark at 3am...it's actually 3:30am now to share with all, is because since these last few days of researching, turning my ENFP thinking cap on and a little bit of trying to follow through and finish (which some ENFP's lack more of than others) I have come up with these thoughts of me.

1. Music has always been a part of my life
      2. Entrepreneur has always been in my brain
      3. Helping people

These are my jobs, rather a blurb to my starting point I've been tripping on thus far. My current professions does not revolve anywhere near the above. That and the fact that I've seen other jobs like counselor, artist, occupational therapist, consultant, pop up here and there. I can go on with putting out more, but I won't.

Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is this...which is what I'm getting from my last few days and thoughts and reflections of everything until now and of such.

ENFP's cannot be confined to one thing, because if we do, and/or if we make decisions that ultimately confines us - this is not a good environment for ENFP's.

ENFP's know what they truly want and this is unfortunately the only thing that will make us happy, otherwise, the other determining factors better have a pretty damn good reason to let it be OR the ENFP is really just denying oneself and/or because there is just no choice and everything has been exhausted.

ENFP's should not settle for less because it seems that whenever we do settle for less, there is a bit of suffering that we have to deal with and we just hate that, especially when reason is no longer the question or we have nothing to combat the feelings with, that helps us justify this...I call it suffering on behalf of ENFP's.

What I believe transcends all ENFP's and everyone else in the E's, the S's, R's, I'm just rambling with the letters is this...

1. Do what you love and what you like. I truly think that this is what the gist is for an ENFP to remember first and foremost.

2. Life isn't always in the goal no matter how far or short, but in the journey...so even if you've done something you asked yourself why you did, appreciate that you did them and add those values to what you love and what you like now.

3. If you build it, they will come. If you truly believe, work at it reflectively and put faith in what you are doing, that's when success will come down to see you and tell you how much of a good job you've been doing and reward you.

In the gift that less is more, I stop at this.

And that's because I am going to actually do this for myself, which is why for the first time in my life, I'm going to do the following thoughts I mentioned without doing my ENFP scatterbrain mode and wanting to do everything else and more for a damn change plus begin hiking every morning at 6am for the rest of my life.

What I am going to do is refine the Music, Entrepreneur and Helping thoughts of mine into a set of jobs that meets all 3. This way I get maximum input to get the maximum output. I'm still in chisel mode with the thoughts so this is going to be my focus for now and I hope that by sharing with you my battles and thoughts, that you will get something out of this as much as I have when I stumbled upon this page!

Good luck everyone. To all ENFP's for keeping it real! Thank you. : )

• Nik
    Nik
    offline 0

Sun, May 8, 2011 - 11:18 PM
    I'm so glad to have discovered this site and a community of other people just like me. I was mainly reminded that it's good to know thyself and reflect on the recommended careers and interests for ENFPs. You may even want to take other type indicators such as Holland's Codes (RIASEC) and gleam what you can from reviewing both personality inventories. Each one provides layers of information and sometimes reinforce each other. Then, occasionally research the projected demand for the vocations for your type and identify the pros and cons for each vocation of your interest (trust me, each one has a downside). Figure out which drawbacks you can live with. Beware that some vocations will only look good to you from afar. Identify at least one that can put food on your table reliably or be a supplement to your main gig. In this new global economy, it has been said that everyone needs at least 3 different vocations. One can be your main focus, while one can be an alternate backup and another can be something you volunteer time at or serve humanity through. Then consider which of your other callings/interests can be tackled in your spare time, or in another season of your life. Also, lateral careers that have considerable overlap, or similar knowledge and skill bases may have so much similarity that they offer the same level of satisfaction even if they are different careers. These are things you may not need to duplicate training for by going back to school as you might be able to easily break into the related areas with little retraining, and transfer skills if the entry prerequisites and qualifications are all at the same level. It helps keep your soul alive to continue making time for your interests as your life permits. In my case, after years of always taking classes at night in addition to my career, I have done everything from Nonprofit Grant Management, HR, IT Project Mgmt/Systems Analysis, Mgmt/Organizational Consulting (Internal). Now, I find myself unbelievably bored with my day job and what was bearable 7 years ago no longer interests me and my need for certain types of benefits is stronger than ever. I can no longer ignore my soul calling out to me and my desire to learn more and make a difference. I have decided to either be a nurse, psychotherapist/social worker, or an engineer for the next phase of my life. Advanced Nursing may win out even though I must go back to school. This is because 1) health care has always interested me (premed in college), 2) I like the possibility for flexible schedules other than 9-5 so that I gain the option to work three shifts/week while running my business on off days, and 3) the opportunity to see the world as a travel nurse. Many people on this forum have mentioned nursing as an interest but my word of warning is to be aware that a good number of nurses start despising their work years down the line and some begin experiencing back problems. Some manage this discontent by rotating into other specialties or working for businesses that need those with a health background such as case management, insurance company, nurse lecturer, nursing school program administration, or leverage health care background into a new field such as medical malpractice law, health mgmt info systems and so on. Others hate nursing so much that they switch to something altogether different. Back to the idea of deferring different vocations until the right time. Personally speaking, other things that strongly interest me like psychotherapy and interior design may wait until I reach retirement age then become part time careers as my long term profession winds down. Like I said, sometimes you can do many things you want in this world but just not all at once. Plus, some careers may be in demand at different times due to economic cycles and so on. So, just like you can develop a mission statement that guides your life, which might result in different activities over time, you can also plan, periodically assess and defer intense focus on some interests/vocations for the different seasons of your life. In parting, good luck to us fairy children who never stop dreaming and wandering. We bring the possibility of light, hope, and wonder to the world.

Mon, June 20, 2011 - 5:05 AM
      Once again, it is great to meet others in the same boat! I am only 19 and already I feel like I am never going to reach a decision about what to do with my life! And the nagging questions of "what course do you want to study, what is your passion, what career path do you want to go down"... are becoming all too common and overwhelming.. my answer to all is EVERYTHING!!.. I haven't yet discovered this job, but my ideal career would be something that encompasses psychology, marketing/advertising/PR, teaching, entertainment and music. I think our best bet is to create our own business, or venture into something that provides a lot of individual, personalised services. In looking at all of these things I love, I think working for a company that serves the youth, concentrating on youth development through providing events and services to the community would be ideal. These events and services would allow people to express themselves creatively and come together in a place where they feel safe, acceptable and fulfilled (eg- dance and music festivals). Being able to creatively promote these events and services would also be ideal. So not only would I be able to help people to get the most out of their lives and reach their potential, but I would also be able to create advertising material to promote such events. Sooooo this is pretty much my ideal job (at the moment anyway). If I could incorporate DJ ing and maybe broadcasting in there too - that would be great!! Haah does anyone else have any business ventures that they dream about?
      ALSO, I think if we aren't going to get satisfaction from one job for the rest of our lives, why not work in two different fields/industries.. but part time? That would be the dream...
      :)

Wed, June 22, 2011 - 1:17 PM
        Simone - I am planning to transition my "career" into many part-time gigs. I have decided that I just cannot commit to one profession and that I have to follow my passions to truly be happy in the work I am doing.

Here are the things I am looking at:

Accounting Consutling (teaching QuickBooks) - currently launching this
        Teach classes at the local community college - I have done this in the past
        Become Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer - working on this
        WeightWatchers leader - once I reach my goal

There are probably more things I would like to add - stay tuned - there will be others!

Jessica

Sun, July 3, 2011 - 8:01 AM
    Career boredom. Check. Need to work with a wide variety of people. Check. Creative/Spontaneous/Enthusiastic/Bright. Check. Easily bored. Check.

I usually feel boredom about 2-3 months into a job. I'm a teacher, which isn't a bad fit for an ENFP, considering I am educating young minds, helping young people reach their potential as well as making $80K per year, since I've complete my Post-Bac diploma and they've upped my pay. And I live in Canada where they do remunerate teachers fairly (my colleagues at the union would disagree on this point!) . However, I do find that I enjoy the excitement and novelty of working at different schools - I know some teachers hate it because they prefer the comfort of "belonging in a stable group environment". But I find the stimulation and challenge of new experiences very satisfying. I've also worked on cruise ships, travelled solo and owned and ran my own dessert catering company.

Teaching provides a comfortable base salary from which I can live and explore my world. Teaching is also friendly to part-timers. I'm supplanted my work with night courses and side jobs that help with career boredom. Also I've realized I need to change my work environment constantly, whether it be changing schools, curriculums or grades to keep myself focused, and sufficiently challenged. My next venture? Would love to try my hand at Marketing and a bigger, riskier entrepreneurial venture! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck fellow ENFP in your career journey!

Mon, December 10, 2012 - 11:47 PM
    This is going to sound like a broken record for anyone reading this page, but it is so exciting to hear that all my fellow ENFPs are going through the same thing as me! I'm 31, just got my Bachelor's in Music, and now doing my Master's in Industrial-Organizational Psychology. I'm finding it very tough to get interviews in this market with a degree in music, but the encouragement to do what I love is so invigorating! I wouldn't have it any other way!

Thu, March 7, 2013 - 10:12 AM
      for a long time, i thought i was a nutter, but actually once i discovered this personality type i decided i was instead just a quirky unique person with my own way of doing things. i think our main "problem" is our idealism and the fact that we have big dreams... this leads us to huge surges of excitement and ethusiasm (can be quite useful), but when reality inevitably fails to meet our expectations, we tend to spiral downwards feeling sad and flat, before the cycle starts again. anyone else get that?

as an ENFP i've always found myself flourish in any job relating to people. i've been in sales, customer service, I've been an english teacher in Asia, and have found myself in the oil and gas industry now as a customer service rep/engineer. this works really well for me because it involves lots of change, going to different rigs, dealing with new crews and people, and it's 4 weeks of work followed by 2 weeks off, which allows me to have that freedom and independence we seek... in the two weeks off i literally just veg out, write, read, watch documentaries, travel...just totally be myself, which our personality type really needs - that time to pursue our own interests and be creative.

i would recommend this kind of job to anyone of our personality type. I've moved 50+ times in my life, had a bunch of different jobs, and never been settled for long. but i really feel finally that "this is it" like something has just clicked. i can see limitless possiblity here (there's oil everywhere in the world and opportunities to travel to a new place basically every eyar or two and it isnt seen as unusual) - and the paycheck is great - so there's a balance between security and adventure.

convincing my partner of this is a different matter as shes certainly not ENFP but instead craves security and certainty. lets see how that works out, but so far i've found she's a very good balancing antidote to my far fetched ideas and mad notions - helps me keep my feet on the ground without crushing my dreams either.

don't worry ENFP's - we are cool, and we usually do very well in the long run. be yourself , because what you'll find is usually people actually really like who you are and the breath of fresh air you bring to the table.

Tue, March 12, 2013 - 7:14 PM
    Gday Everyone.

Having read this whole post I'm not the least bit surprised it's been running for 5 years now, though only one post in 2012? Quiet year for discovery? :)

To have read this is like playing a game of 'self description bingo' - reading different keywords or phrasing and it just keeps going off in my head. So much so, I'm going to print off the whole post thus far and highlight the standout points for me, which my be counter productive given it all pretty much resonates with me.

Having read through this, I don't feel so erratic. Or at least, my feelings of being erratic now have some validation of sorts.
    Despite the post topic, I'm not so much seeking the big $$. I'm seeking direction. I'm seeking what to do with my life. But you all are too.
    For me, "sincerity" frames everything currently and has done for a few years now. There's an honest and integral value lying in that word.

At a shade over 40 at time of writing, I've got the benefit of looking at the footsteps of my life currently - aligning that path and those experiences with what I'm reading here and thinking 'wow, ok .. that clicks.'
    Rod's post from 2011, just nailed it for me :
    1. Music has always been a part of my life
    2. Entrepreneur has always been in my brain
    3. Helping people

> I can't play nor sing a note of music to save myself, nor am I trained or educated in it but music MUSIC! has always been apart of my fabric. With my eyes shut, I've played and sung up a storm to audiences big and small. Who knew ...
    > Entrepreneurial visions galore, dream up all sorts of wonderful stuff - but - am I the guy to go out and song and dance the vision? Go knocking on doors to push and sell it? I've always said No.
    > Helping people. I think this one's always been there but perhaps a 'late dawner'. Yes I enjoy helping people, helping facilitate things for them .. but am I the guy for bed pan duty in a nursing home? Do I want / need to rush out and breast feed humanity and save everyone? I don't think so.

Jessica's post from 2011 ref: part-time gigs - I'm wondering if that's a pathway forward. Instead of bogging down and looking at just one to 'be the life saviour' maybe develop sphere's of them, each with overlapping elements?
    Is there some redundancy in that too? As one sphere is eliminated either by expired interest or just simply non income producing then it can be retired and then a replacement evaluated without compromising the other spheres? I wonder I wonder ...

But as Jenn said in her 2010 post: "I am also in search of that perfect career"
    This seems to be my current issue, my current block. I'm looking (wanting!) that magic touch on the shoulder that says, "Adam, go forth and be a crane driver" and bugger it, I'll be a great crane driver. The word "career" has never really been apart of my vocab. It's not been something I've strived for, nor valued, nor cherished.
    I think to date I've made reasonable success's (measured on varying scales I guess) from what I've turned my hands to.
    Now - I find myself looking at people who have 'success / stability' in what they have (mostly, usually in self employment) and I ask within "Ok, so what *was it that made you realise and pursue X" - and I guess from that I seek to learn what those qualities and discoveries were.

And Will, your 2009 post: "It matches what ENFP's love to do, I think." Think think think think think! Forever just musing and turning stuff over. I love mowing the yard for example. Why? Cause the OCD streak in my likes to have it nice (no, I don't polish blades or grass :) ), I get the (immediate?) satisfaction of seeing it done, seeing it nice - there's pride and satisfaction in that. But as I'm walking up and down the yard, mowing / edging, what can you do to the hum of the mower? Think! All of life's problems and the topic of life itself gets churned, dusted, approved and condemned. Bizzare.

As stated and like previous readers have shared, much here resonates and clicks with me.
    Jobs I've had past have all been listed here basically and ones I haven't had, such as Psychology, have clunked around in my head on and off for a few years. It's interesting, all very bloody interesting but certainly to read these pages has been excellent and as per my 'spheres' musing above, there's a few things now I can take forward and thus, goal achieved of coming here :)

Sat, August 3, 2013 - 5:50 PM
      Thank goodness I found this collection of like minded people. What a relief. My ENFP characteristics are often misinterpreted as immaturity, especially by my family. "Why don't you just take a job and stay for 30 years like everyone else?" Ugh. I wish I had more answers than questions, but hopefully someone will identify with me. I work as a headhunter in the financial services industry and it is very much akin to the way others have depicted it in various threads. Some days are unbelievably satisfying, the thrill of a man-previously unemployed and his outlook getting more and more dour, finally getting a job and expressing "thank you on behalf of not just me but also my family", his voice infused with timism and adrenaline. But on the inverse there are days of spirit crushing rejection or indifference- hundreds of calls and no results. This would be hard on anyone, but for people like me (us) its extremely hard to depersonalize things- I'm very sensitive and emotional, that side of me needing positive encouragement and affirmation from my bosses and clients is a gaping hole within me.
      I turn to you all and ask: what is your experience regarding the need for encouragment and endorsement from others? I've become increasingly more self aware and itsn a Lessing and a curse. I've always had a need to please and with it, a need for assurance from others personally and professionally. Over th last few years, I've noticed that this trait has become increasingly more prevalent and, I'm terms of personal development, is me a high priority in terms of working on it. Is this uncommon that at 33, no longer a kid and making progress in terms of emotional maturity, this weakness has regressed further? Honestly, I've always been a high performance reason, thriving by sung our famed people skills... But my need for encouragment and, in turn the empty void dot when not getting it, is starting o impact my career. When I feel unappreciated, not loved, whatever, more and more I mentally "check out". I lose commit,ent o my work and my process, which impacts results. Geez, I sound like a puppy who feels ignored by his owner and poops in his shoe. I recognize that this trait is a "me issue", as in I can't expect the world to change around me so if I am o be happy I have to do a better job in managing my expectations. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

Mon, January 6, 2014 - 9:10 PM
      adam. this is crazy. I read all the posts and was pretty dumbfounded but when I read your post I could not believe what you wrote. I started out my career wanting to compose music (Musician). I wrote some songs on the piano then took some classes as I stare at a guitar that sits in my corner that has yet to be learned. I gave that up eventually and relocated to California to start an art gallery. After that didnt work out I changed it into a spa and ran it for about 6 years (Entrepreneur). I then moved to Silicon Valley to start a small business developing apps for the iPad. After doing that for a couple of years I moved to florida. I am now looking at psychology programs and may go back to night school to become a psychologist (Psychologist). I also love mowing the lawn and think of tons of new ideas and inventions which is why I loved the app development business although since it lacked the helping component it was not as fulfilling as I had thought it would be. Anyways it taken me a very long time and a lot of trial and tribulations to learn and know that when I am making money AND helping people overcome challenges/problems/issues that I give off more energy than a nuclear power plant... Please feel free to email me directly because I found your post by no coincidence and perhaps we may be able to help each other figure out the next plan of attack. Cheers, rob (imadeyouapainting at gmail dot com)

Thu, October 10, 2013 - 7:02 AM
    SENIOR,

If there is an enfp out there that wants ALOTTTTT of money. That enfp, my friend, would be me.

I get it. You want to make money, however you need to find a job to suite your enescable, and forever wonderful, enfpness. The best place for you is business school. This is what I'm doing, and let me tell you, best decision ever. I am majoring in finance and persuing some form of coonsulting, most likely management consulting (strategic if I think I can handle it(we'll see)). While in school, make sure you stay involved with alot of clubs related to your career, and talk with the guys (and gals), who are in the same boat as you, and who have the same aspirations. IT CAN BE REALLY FUN. Go out with the guys that wana be a consultant like you. As you know, enfps need to engrossed in their career at all times, or else they get distracted, lol :(.

I'll tell you man, there are a ton of great oppurtunities out there, but of course you already know, it'll only work if its right for YOU. I don't know exactly where you're at right now, it sounds like your already in college. I'm just gonna emphasize one last time that this could be a great career for you, and it really is not too hard, IF, you get involved in the proper ways. STAY ACTIVE AND STAY LEARNING ABOUT YOUR CAREER.

I really wish you the best of luck my man.

Godspeed to you my brother.

Wed, September 3, 2014 - 2:07 PM
    This thread is amazing. Thank you.

I read this article here:
    personalityjunkie.com/enfp-ca...-majors/
    And the posts below and I totally get it now!!!

The biggest reason my J family members dont like my boyfriend is because of his wishy washy career choices and lack of direction and clear
    goals...and when he does have goals his an inability to finish them. Drives me mad! Ill share his story here
    in high school he was a musician, bass players and very good but the band fell apart. He scraped through high school and went into radio broatcasting in college which he dropped out knowing there were no jobs in it. He and i were both lifeguards and swimming teachers. When I met him he said he was starting school in september for social work but he loves history and had always wanted to be a history teacher. We were friends. Then we started dating 9 months later and turns out he was lifeguarding/cologne sales rep/cinnabun chef but wanted to be a fitness model.
    makes my head spin. We nearly broke up when i explained my frustrations with him (my J family members pressure as well...but im just not a quitter and could never ever imagine how he was okay with bouncing around like that!!!) I suggested he apply to college for fitness and health programs geared towards kinesiology but his math skills were too low. He got into everything including a health and fitness business geared programs but he didnt get into the kinesiology one and instead of accepting the business program. I thought those programs would help his desire to be a fitness model since that is the path his brother took.
    He told me he walked out of the math exam room and already knew it wasnt for him.
    Then he nearly broke up with me but i said i would stand by every career he chooses and do anything for him to be a fitness model. I learned i had to trust him. He admitted it seems like he bounces everywhere but promised he would figure it out. And then announces hes going to construction. WTF
    His friend talked him into it but I was positive it was not the right career match. I will support every career he chooses because i love him. So he got job interviews for apprenticeships and one guy hired him and gave him a list of physics concepts he needed to learn before started as an electriction.

My minor is physics so I worked with him on them and discovered he can barely add fractions let alone balance an equation of variables!!! Math and manual dexterity are the two things you absolutely must excel at for skilled trades and so I talked a friend into some math tutoring. We havent arranged it yet but both my friend and him agreed to the tutoring.

In the past year he has done three plumbing apprenticeships and one HVAC apprenticeship, quitting for various reasons. I would be slightly upset when he quit but I understand why. They all involved unsafe workplaces 60 hours of work per week (12 hour shifts five days a week when during the interview he was told it would be only 9 hours shifts) and conflict with the plumber under which he was working. My boyfriend is a sensitive kind guy and he loves praise and fun workplaces. The most heartbreaking was his decision one week ago to leave an HVAC company that he absolutely adored. I was shocked. I knew he would be hard pressed to find another 4 person company where everyone was his age and everyone loved his music and they treated each other like brothers. That was exactly the perfect place for an ENFP. He said it didnt even feel like work and he absolutely adored his job.

Then he applied for a plumbing apprenticeship got the job and quit the job he loved.

WHY HE WAS FINALLY HAPPY!!!

I was so disappointed. He quit because they were not signing him up officially and it was HVAC not plumbing and he wants to be un a union with the board of trades.

You guys explained how the lure of more money can clouds your vision as to what you have now. Grass is always greener somewhere else. All the S T and J instilled in me has changed me. Some of my friends who are strong NFP types literally drive me crazy with their illogical imaginative and totally unrealistic plans that arent even plans...theyre based on random feelings.
    I know its harsh...im an INFP and im truely very sensitive inside but I realized types like us need to work on other things...being factual and concrete planning carefully sticking to plans. We should be wary of making decisions based on feelings. No matter where you work or where you are in life balance is important. No career is perfect.

The allure of money is more important to my boyfriend then his own happiness. Which I would never choose. Money for me is extremely important for practical and logical reasons which the STJs in my life impress on me and I believe their viewpoint is very valid.

I truly believe personality type is not the best way to chose a new career path. Every industry and every job has a million different ways to approach it and different specializations within it.

I try to suck it up and get the ESTJ work done and it is actually fun to try out something you suck at when in a job...you will learn and become more balanced (if unhappy!) Being unhappy itself is an experience I try to embrace. (Any J you ask will say thats crazy because why didnt you plan around it or plan your way out of it or if it was part of your plan and you didnt expect to be unhappy well thats too bad because you better stick to the plan.) See because a J would be SO VERY unhappy deviating from their plan and leaving the comforting structure of it that it is worth any amount of unhappiness to stick it out through to the end.

So im going to put some J into this thread and say stick it out! Find happiness somewhere else! Work is no place for feelings!

But as for my boyfriend I can see that an HVAC sales rep or plumbing sales rep would be the perfect fit. It would tack on perfectly to the plumbing liscence he is determined to get and would require only a year or two of college business courses. He always tells me how his grandfather made a fortune in leather making business and how business is in his family.

What do you guys think?

-with love from an INFP

PS: I would never suggest it!!! If i could somehow arrange for my boyfriend to become a musician or a fitness model i would but he himself will not accept those careers because he wants a higher paying job to buy fitness supplements with and he himself rejected the fitness programs he got into in college. I have also discovered from my boyfriend it is impossible to quell the ENFPs need for freedom and they hate others trying to control them...